Friday, March 4, 2011


Despite yesterday's running being so easy, I was pretty sore when I went to bed last night and when I woke up. I thought about taking the stick with me to school and using it during the day, but didn't. I was also very dehydrated and my throat was sore. I spent most of the day unable to talk normally, pausing occasionally to cough up a lung, and not drinking enough water. But Greg was going to join me at the workout this afternoon so I was happy about that. At least he'd be there to witness the suffering.

After a brief and useless parent-conference, we met at Mary Washington for the warm-up. Greg wanted to run with me to get his run in. I think it was really a trick so that I wouldn't warm up at 7:18 pace like I did on Wednesday. Instead we ran 3 miles at 8:10 pace. I'd never run with Greg before. On Caroline Street, some skater kid mocked us and ran behind us for a while. It was stupid. I stretched at the car and at the track before getting started. It was a lot colder than I expected it to be. I wore a long-sleeved shirt on the warm-up on principle, but didn't expect to need it during the workout. But it was chilly! I kept it on the whole time, and would have been happier with gloves.

The workout was 8 x 1000 at race pace, with 3 minutes rest. Looking back at the email from Sunday, I see that it was really supposed to be 2 minutes rest, but I think he eased off on me since my workout Wednesday was so abysmal and I was clearly under the weather. #2-7 were in spikes. He said aim for 37-39 on the 200s, and to stay relaxed.

Things went well. I had to control myself the first 100-200 of #1 and #2. After #1, I jogged the back 200 to the line and changed into my spikes. I wasn't paying attention to the clock and started #2 after 2 minutes rest instead of 3 minutes. I payed for that a little bit, but at the same time the spikes took some time getting used to. I went too fast because of the spikes but was tired because of the rest. So it was like a double-edged sword. I tried to settle in on #3. Greg told me to start tucking in my right elbow because it bows out on the turns when I get tired. I can believe that. But what I'm unclear about is how to do that. Do I pull the elbow in or more worry about where my hand is going while I'm driving forward? Questions for another day. My form is never good.

But I was very consistent in this workout. He said I was "loving the 75's." I'd pull up a little bit at the end of the 1000, with the exception of #6 and #8. On all of the jog recoveries, he'd jog alone next to me on the inside of the track and talk to me. I asked if I should try to run faster for the last 200 of my last one (at the time I forgot that I wouldn't be doing #8 in spikes.) He said no, not to do a "last one, fast one" sort of thing, and to just focus on being on pace and staying smooth. No need to get hurt. It reminded me of my first long run of 2011 where I got into a kicking situation with Justin and felt my IT band pull a little bit. It was stupid, and I was worried that all of my rest in December had just been lost. But things turned around and I don't even think about the IT band anymore. I was pretty pissed at myself for running a 76 on the 7th 1000, so I was trying to make up for it on the 200 but realized that was stupid and slowed back down. That was my slowest interval. I could have made up for it but there was no point. It was kind of cool running as it was getting dark with the lamp posts on the track. Coming around the 100 and the 200 I could see my shadow on the track, and my bright yellow FARCman shirt was glowing in the reflection...

Reebok Easytone Sneakers
For #8 I didn't wear spikes, and I wasn't looking forward to it. I knew it was going to be heavy and that my feet were going to feel weird. I was used to the spikes, although the top of my right calf was getting pretty tight. After all, it's only my second time wearing them in at least a year. I really can't think of the last time I put them on prior to Presidents' Day... On the recovery after putting on my trainers, I tried to jump around a little and shake my legs out a little more than I'd done on the previous rests. I also did a little faster running than just jogging, to get the feel for them again. It was awkward. Greg told me to be careful on the first 200 to keep my pace under control, because I'd be working harder but I still wanted to keep the pace and not overcompensate. It felt like I was wearing pillows, or sometimes even moon shoes. My feet were almost sliding around in them, like they were too big or wobbly. I bet it's what it'd feel like to try to run fast in Reebok Easytone Sneakers. Those things are supposed to tone up all your parts and stuff. Anyway, the last one was exactly what it should have been. I stayed on pace and relaxed the last 25-50 meters as I'd been doing. Nothing different, except that I was carrying around Supernova Glides (11.8oz) instead of Nike Lanang STs (5.4oz), so it was good that it was still fast enough. In fact, it was my second fastest.

Afterwards, we walked back to the cars so I could go cool down. It was almost 6:30 at this point, and I'd already punished him enough on the warm up, so Greg left me to my own devices this time so he could go be a husband and father. He picked the wrong run to do with me though, as I ran even slower, 8:21 pace, for the 2 mile cool down. I was beat. And I feel a whole lot better about today than I did about Wednesday.

Garmin Connect - Details (Warm Up)
Garmin Connect - Details (Cool Down)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my post. I will review your comment as soon as possible.

Race Photos